Like it or not, we live in a time when prospects and clients demand specialization. They want to feel that they are receiving the product or service they want and need from someone they perceive as an authority in your niche.
This doesn’t mean you have to have an MBA or a doctoral degree in your topic. Instead, you MUST position yourself and your business as someone whose only purpose is to help your ideal client with their transformation needs; and you CAN’T do that while trying to be everything to everyone. And… even if you have a doctoral degree, MBA, or any advanced training, positioning is still key – your advanced training will not get you clients if your marketing materials (including your website) DON’T position you as an expert in your niche.
Most business owners today try to expand their product or service offerings, reasoning (incorrectly) that they’re casting a wider net that will catch more fish. In reality, they’re doing the exact opposite. Your prospects want to feel as though you’re focused solely on the challenges/needs/strong desires that are most important to them. If you try to be everything to everyone, you lose credibility and end up attracting no one… OR extremely few, while expending much more effort, and more marketing $$$s.
Here are 6 simple steps that will help you become seen as an Authority – OR the Go-to-Guy – in your niche:
1. Become clear who you’d like to work with – who is your ideal client? (your target market)
2. Make sure that your ideal client can afford your fees (!!! – you might have to re-do #1 above, if your target market is broke)
3. Discover what your ideal clients really want; Find out what are their most burning pain areas, or burning desires of your target market – so burning that they are willing to pay for the solution
4. Invest time to word your offers in a way that your ideal client can relate to it AND wants to engage with you. It is your words that will get you hired. All the visibility in the world can be worthless, if your message does not resonate with your prospects. Talk directly to them, such as “Are you a professional who feels overwhelmed and unproductive? …” – all overwhelmed and unproductive professionals know that they’ve arrived to the right website (if they like what they read next… Every headline, subheadline, paragraph should “force”/invite the reader to continue reading and increase the desire to engage with you.
5. Become visible in front of your target market. Position yourself as an authority/expert to your target market by providing them solutions to their burning problems or desires (through your eNewsletter, blog posts, videos, articles, your web copy, etc.
6. Offer paid solutions to your followers. After all, you are doing this to generate an income, right? Make sure to have links to your paid solutions at the end of your articles, blog posts, in your videos, and in some (about 25% of your eMail communication with your followers. We’ll talk more in depth on how to do this effectively in upcoming instructional articles.
If you pay close attention, you’ll notice that a mere 20% of your current clients are producing 80% of your total business revenue. Those are your ideal clients, and they love what you do and what you provide for them. When you select the area that attracted them to you as your niche market, you immediately begin to attract this type of client in droves.
Your revenue and profits will begin to skyrocket, and you will actually begin to work fewer hours. You will “play” at what you do instead of working on what drains you. If you fail to create a niche market for your business, the cost to you may be staggering…
- You lose revenue and profit
- You work longer and harder
- You lose the chance to build a valuable business asset
- You will be forced to compete forever on price
- You miss out on becoming unique or differentiate your business from your competition
The above might sound a little harsh, but let’s face it, if your website looks the same like 50,000 other business’s websites; if your message seems similar, then why would someone hire you vs. any of the other similar service providers?
When you differentiate yourself by being clear about WHO you serve and WHAT you serve to them, you’ll now stand out and start attracting the clients who feel that your message addresses their needs.
These are some of the strategies that you as a business owner must consider and implement in order to effectively position your business in the proper niche market and explode your revenues.
Let me know if you have any questions about any of the powerful strategies described above. And if you already positioned yourself as the go-to-guy – or gal’ – in your niche, share with us in the comments how did you accomplish that…
To your success,
E.G. Sebastian, CPC, CSL
Your Business-Growth & Client-Attraction Mentor
PS – If you liked this article, make sure to share it with your friends, on your social media of choice…
PPS – Do you want instant access to tutorials that will help you implement strategies that will position you as an authority in your niche? As well as get access to weekly support calls? Visit www.myClientAttractionAcademy.com/GuidedTour and find out how to get the support you need, without breaking the bank!
~ ~ ~
E.G. Sebastian is a veteran entrepreneur of 20+ years. He is the founder of www.myClientAttractionAcademy.com and an international speaker (speaks 6 languages). E.G. specializes primarily in helping coaches, consultants, speakers, authors, and service-business owners put in place all the elements needed for business success, with a focus on helping his clients get massive visibility for their business and convert that visibility into paying clients. Explore and Test-Drivve E.G.’s newest Coaching Accountability Online Software at www.myClientAttraction.com – it’s absolutely free and no credit card is needed.